Saturday, March 22, 2008

Opinions and Comments on Shades of Green








The pool was light years away from our room it seemed - the whole resort is roomy and spread out - so bring good shoes for walking.
********************************
We've stayed here twice and are going back Sept 2006. It's a great value. The rooms are huge and very nicely done. We've stayed in both the pool side and the golf course side. The rooms by the golf course are much nicer (newer) and quieter. In the mornings you can watch the wild turkeys on the golf course.
************************************
My only issue with the hotel was the pillows. If you want comfy, soft pillows, bring your own! I tried to get different ones and was told by a couple of different people that they only had one brand. (note: Ray and I usually pick up pillows at Wal Mart when we travel, and we're going to be there a week or more. It's one of the perks of being older!)

****************************************
Many previous posts mentioned the long distance of the pools from the newer section. We had three kids with us seven years-old or younger and none of them had a problem walking the four or five minutes to the pools. We originally wanted to be right by the pools, but I am glad we ended up in the newer section because it seemed to be a lot quieter than the pool area rooms.

*************************************
The driver of the bus that brought me from the airport to SOG announced as he came up the driveway that here was the best place to stay in all of Disney World. And I have to agree with him. Family members stayed at another resort to be close to a conference, but they liked to come to SOG to eat, relax in my spacious room, use my spacious bathroom, and look for alligators. I was on the first floor of the new section, and when I sat outside in the early morning, it was wonderfully peaceful and beautiful. If I had had children or grandchildren with me, I would have tried to stay in the old section, closer to the pools. The whole setting doesn't look commercial, although the restaurants, AFES shop, etc are convenient. And the buses are the most direct and seem to run more frequently than on any other route - of course it is just a couple of minutes to the transportation center and the monorail. Can't beat the price, convenient, attractive, spacious - what more can you ask for? (note: Three transportation options: 1. The busses to all the resorts go right to Shades of Green. 2. We "cheat" and walk over the Polynesian to take the monorail. 3. The official 'Transportation Center' is a short walk away. I'll explain more about transportation once we get there. It's simple. Real simple.)

No comments: